Monday, March 31, 2008

Memories

I am not a big crier. Sometimes when I'm reading a book and someone dies or is treated badly, I might shed a couple of tears. Both with the movie and book of "Charlie" I cried. But what really gets me is good memories. I know, I haven't been living that long, but they still get me. What really gets me hard right now is Red Rock. Red Rock is a program my elementary school did. They would take us down to Goblin Valley and we would spend four days there. There, we learned while having a good time. To me, my second year was the best. I wasn't a newbie, and strangely my last year where all of my close friends were with me, isn't my best.
In my second year, what really gets me going was the bead ceremony held at the last night we spent there, where everyone received a bracelet with beads that each had a meaning.


We received these from our group leaders or as we called them, Clan Leaders. Mr. Crockett was mine. I remember him saying that he picked colors that were powerful to him, because I was powerful. I was outgoing, ready to try/do anything, and he said, "if I asked her to jump 15 feet into a pool of water to see how deep it was, she would do it." That may sound dumb but I seriously would. When I think of that memory, my eyes get blurry and filled up with tears. It makes me a little mad and also sad that Red Rock was canceled. It was one of the great things my elementary school had going for it.

4 comments:

annette said...

There are certain events in our lives that have a great impact, and they aren't always the ones you'd expect. It is always the saddest to say good-bye to those.

BTW, I think it's so cool that Mr. Crocket was so aware of just who you are.

Brian -n- Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian -n- Laura said...

I know how you feel. We had an amazing girl's camp that I used to go to called Camp Liahona. It had some amazing traditions that culminated in Liahona night, a magical evening down by the creek where we would perform the mythical story of Liahona, an American indian girl. No one knew who the Liahona for that year would be until she stepped out of the teepee. I found out a few years ago that they have disbanded Camp Liahona, and they now send the girls to another camp in Louisiana. I have so many amazing memories of my time spent at that camp - it makes me very sad to think that all those wonderful traditions are no more. I hold those cherished memories close and I am grateful that I was able to experience something so uplifting and special. You should do the same - your memories of Red Rock are special and will forever be a part of the unique and wonderful person that you are...I love you! ~ Aunt Laura

P.S. Our blog is now up and running: http://b-n-lsspot.blogspot.com/

Elemenob said...

As you learned at Girl's camp last year, I cry when I share my testimony (even though I don't do it a whole ton)
I'm really going to miss red rock.

-Elle